Stipends and scholarships for SRCCON 2022
We want to help you attend SRCCON 2022: We’re offering a free ticket for folks who need it and a stipend to support the participation of anyone who would not otherwise be compensated for their time during the conference.
The scholarship ticket will be one of the options on the ticket purchase page, so you can just pick up that free ticket directly. The stipend is for attendees whose employers aren’t compensating them for the time they spend participating, or for people who need to pay for support such as caregiving so they can participate. Stipend application questions are part of our call for participation form.
About the scholarship and stipend process
What we’re offering
- A free ticket to attend the event, and/or
- A $250 stipend to compensate for participation in the event
Who should apply
The tickets are for:
- Anyone in the journalism-tech community who is unable to purchase a ticket to attend—in particular laid-off, unemployed, and freelance journalists.
- Tickets are prioritized for members of communities underrepresented in journalism and technology, such as journalists of color, and journalists from smaller and non-coastal newsrooms.
The stipends are for:
- Anyone eligible for a ticket, whose employers aren’t compensating them for the time they spend participating, or for people who need to pay for support such as caregiving so they can participate.
How to apply
Questions to apply for the stipend are included in the call for participation form. The deadline for stipends was April 25, and we are evaluating whether we can accept additional applications for stipends. The scholarship ticket will be available through the registration process, no separate application necessary.
When notifications go out
The stipend notifications will go out on May 4 for everyone who applied by April 25.
What happens after the event
You tell us how it went! We’ll send you a short followup survey and will be excited to check out anything you write or build coming out of your participation.
Why do you offer these?
We want to make sure that SRCCON events include the diversity of the communities we serve—geographically, demographically, experientially, and more. In the past, we’ve offered this scholarship because we know that travel costs can be a hardship, and offered this scholarship as a way to help mitigate that. We’ve adapted the scholarship this year in response to the acute financial situation facing many journalists during the pandemic.
How do you decide who will receive stipends?
OpenNews staff reviews all applications. We prioritize applications from members of communities underrepresented in journalism and technology, such as journalists of color, and journalists from smaller and non-coastal newsrooms.
When will I receive my stipend?
When we notify stipend recipients, we’ll include information about how to receive the stipend funds. In short, you will need to fill out a form and send some tax paperwork for our administrators to process the payment. It may take a month or so for check processing.